Type: Education Phase: Completed Date: 1992 Size: 30,000 sf Addition, 3,500 sf Renovation
With an active community focus and busy after-hour programs, this school plays a prominent role in a neighborhood steeped in historical tradition. This 1923 gothic revival structure required special attention in matching the new with the old while enhancing the internal program uses. This new addition respectfully echoes the traditional design of the original in its massing, detailing and color palette. Through extensive planning efforts with the Design Advisory Committee, historic preservation authorities and others, the team revealed ways to exceed the program requirements within the budget parameters. The addition included a Library Media Center, science classrooms, and expansion of the heating system, while renovation work concentrated on existing classrooms, public spaces and the 500 seat auditorium.