Type: Education Phase: Completed Date: 1994 Size: 20,000 sf
Built in 1923, the original Italian Renaissance Revival Style structure is listed on the Historic Register. The district requested a 20,000 sf addition, including seven classrooms, Library Media Center, cafeteria and attached kitchen, restrooms, and main entry. Remodeled areas included counseling and administrative offices along with the auditorium. Through extensive planning efforts with the Design Advisory Committee and Historic Preservation authorities, the team created a new addition to reflect and complement the original building rather than mimic its massing and details. Thousands of colorful tiles, designed by the school’s students adorn the buildings interior, giving the children a sense of involvement, pride, and ownership of the facility.