Type: Education Phase: Completed Date: 2004 Size: 53,000 sf
Located in the Black Forest area near Colorado Springs, the original Edith Wolford Elementary School was built in 1954 and saddled with numerous additions that made it a less-than-optimum learning environment.
Working with the District, MOA designed a new facility for the same site. Incorporating the existing cafeteria and gym, Wolford Elementary now serves 500 students.
The school was designed to fit into a small, rural, forest community. As such the use of natural materials including wood and masonry were used throughout. The library is designed as the heart of the school. Both the front doors and the library open up to a magnificent view of Pikes Peak Mountain.